Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Behold the Corporate Sloth!

I have wanted to write this for ages but never got around to it. Now running my own business, I am painfully aware of this ‘animal’s’ existence within the corporate environment. It’s the corporate sloth.
If you review the Wikipedia definition of a sloth you will see that ‘they move only when necessary and very slowly. They can move at a marginally higher speed if they are in immediate danger from a predator’… [or boss]. ‘Sloths are among the most somnolent animals, sleeping from 15 to 18 hours each day’…..

Yip a perfect description for these people. They are the type that lie dormant hoping they are not noticed. Their aim seems to simply be to collect a salary at the end of the month and they try their best to remain as anonymous as possible… a kind of shadow. They 'thrive' within the massive corporate layers of bureaucracy. No-one notices them until they have to deal with them that is! It will then take so long to get them out of the system that people sometimes work around them.. They feel no guilt! Who are these people, how do they sleep at night?

Think hard…..I can guarantee you will quickly identify someone in your company that appears to fit the slothlike profile! [That’s if you work in a corporate – small companies are less likely to carry them]…I just hope that I don’t bump into to many of these on my travels…they are not my favourite!

No comments: